Chemistry in My Major

Many of us might think that chemistry is just another science. For me, once I hear the word, a picture of a scientist mixing different chemicals in the laboratory immediately comes to mind. At least this was what I initially thought before taking this chemistry class. What now retains in my head is the fact that chemistry works in ways people might not have realized  from the food we eat, the clothes we wear, the cars we ride, the processes inside our bodies, the products we consume, the air we breathe, the environment we live in. Truly, all living processes are in one way or another controlled by chemical reactions (Chemistry 2011, n.d.). Hence for me, it seems my life is therefore is ruled by this science, including my studies and my future.

Yet how does chemistry fit into my major My current major is General Studies, in the Arts and Social Sciences field. After getting my degree, I plan to teach in elementary school. Thus, I see chemistry as a possible subject that I can teach my students. My general knowledge on chemistry acquired from this course will definitely aid me in teaching science to my students. Specifically and more importantly, the lessons I learned from how chemistry impacts our environment calls for me to educate the little ones about environmental factors and phenomena currently affecting our world such as global warming, pollution, air and water quality, and greenhouse emissions, among others. Since these are big words for such little minds, I will try to simplify them by using pictures and presentations that they can understand and appreciate.

With this, the children will be able to gain awareness on crucial matters affecting the world they live in so that they can do their share in improving the situation even in the simplest and smallest way they can. This goal is in fact in line with the recent declaration of the UN General Assembly that the year 2011 will be known as the International Year of Chemistry. The said resolution primarily aims to increase the interest of young people in chemistry, to heighten peoples appreciation of the science in meeting the worlds needs, and to generate enthusiasm for the creative future of chemistry (Chemistry 2011, n.d.). Furthermore, I also want to impart to my students the value of life and appreciating all its facets in whatever subject I will teach. Hence, my knowledge in chemistry will enable me to discuss the importance of some of the ordinary things, both living and non-living, to my students. For instance, teaching students about how crayons and paper came about in art class, telling them the story of how pens and pencils were made in English writing class, or explaining to them how rain is created in science class, among others. I can integrate chemistry concepts into my teaching and I plan to do this despite the fact that research has revealed that teaching chemistry is unpopular according to most students. This is due to the fact that its relevance has not been highlighted (Holbrook, 2005). Therefore, it is all the more necessary to include chemistry in whatever subject I will teach in the future.

However, I also aspire to work in the human services as my current minor is sociology. I specifically plan to involve myself with local communities as a social worker or a social and community service manager. Chemistry will come into play with the projects and programs that I will spearhead. For instance, basic understanding of human body systems and functions will aid in planning health programs, knowledge on various food components will be beneficial in doing food-related programs, and awareness on environmental problems and processes will help in advocating for clean, green, and sustainable projects for the community.
Therefore, whether I may end up being an elementary school teacher or a community service manager, the need to utilize some chemistry concepts and ideas is inevitable. Hence, the basic knowledge I gained in this course will definitely come in handy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment